On November 14, the Kearney Public School Board approved our plans for the 2024 Band Trip. As a result, we can let you know that we are planning to go to:
Germany and Czechia
The target dates for the 2024 trip, for students of the 2023-24 school year, will be a departure on May 28 with a planned return home on June 6, 2024. The trip will include events and experiences such as:
- Guided tour of the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg
- Shared rehearsals at the Hamburg School of Music for the evening concert
- Exploration of the UNESCO World Heritage village of Quedlinburg
- Shared rehearsal with the J.S. Bach School of Music
- Guided walking tour of Leipzig, including entrances to St. Thomas Church (German) and the nearby Bach Archive Museum
- Visit to the Zwinger and Terezin Concentration Camp Memorial
- Guided tour of the Prague Castle and surrounding area
- Lunchtime concert as part of the Charity Concert Series
- Guided tour of the Old Town Square, the Charles Bridge, and the Astronomical Clock
A full itinerary with all of the events, stops, meal locations, and other activities is available for download and review.
Registration is now open. Please visit the WeTravel website to begin:
Student conduct and behavior
Any student choosing to travel with the band will be expected to adhere to the expectations and instructions outlined in the Kearney High School Band Trip Handbook. This handbook should be printed and reviewed, and any questions presented to the band directors. There are forms to be reviewed, completed, and returned at the due dates expressed by the band directors.
As a reminder, at all times during the trip any student will still be considered participating at a school event with the applicable Kearney High School and Kearney Public Schools expectations in effect. Any student participation is voluntary, and is therefore not a right.
To comply with district policy each of you will need to complete a background check conducted through the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services. Please visit their website to begin the process.
The trip will be planned and coordinated through Tour Resource Consultants (TRC), an organization focusing on custom-tailored group travel experiences (performance, academic, and other themed tours) providing complete travel services including tour conception and planning, tour and events promotion, and travel logistics.
TRC has begun the planning for this performance tour, and have provided the following itinerary:
- May 28: Coach to Denver, with direct flights to Hamburg.
- May 29 & 30: Arrive Hamburg with tours and performance
- May 31 & June 1: Travel Quedlinburg & Leipzig for tours and performance
- June 2: Social engagement in Gut Kamitz with fellow music students
- June 3: Travel through Dresden to Prague with tours
- June 4: Prague tours and concert
- June 5: Performance rehearsal and tours of Prague
- June 6: Return flight and coach to Kearney
Specific tour information can be found in the currently available proposal (updated November 2022).
- International flight
- Basic trip insurance (additional is available for a fee)
- Eight nights in hotels
- Ground transportation by motor coach
- Three performances
- Most breakfasts and dinners
- Multiple guided tours with entrance fees
- Resident tour manager and translator
- End of trip farewell dinner
The total price due for Students and Chaperones will be dependent upon the number of total travelers and room occupancy selections. However, the following baseline per person prices should be considered with land tour expenses and airfare (estimated at $1,492):
- 90 participants: $4,007
- 100 participants: $3,921
- 110 participants: $3,857
A suggested payment planning model, estimating from 100 participating travelers, to ensure proper funding for the trip would include an initial payment on January 15, 2023, and would include 14 monthly payments of ≈$260 with a final payment of ≈$281 on March 3, 2024.
A suggested payment plan is available for download.
Note: Canceled 2020 Europe tour members will receive a $300 voucher to apply toward the Land Cost of the 2024 tour. Only one voucher may be used per travel registration, but previous members may transfer their voucher to a family member or friend. Insert the code KHS300 in the Discount Code Box at the time of registration, and the rate will be reduced accordingly.
TRC has partnered with WeTravel to facilitate the booking and payment process for this tour. More information regarding registration will be posted here when it becomes available. In the mean time an informational video is available to review regarding the registration process:
Participation on this tour will require each traveler to obtain and hold a passport issued from their country’s controlling authority.
For US citizens, please review the State Department’s website regarding international travel and the steps to obtain a passport. Passport information as of November 2022:
- Processing timeline is 6 – 9 weeks (expedited is available for a fee)
- Passports differ for 15, 16, 17, and 18+ year old travelers.
- A passport book will be required; a passport card will not be sufficent
- Approximate passport cost: $165
For both Germany and Czechia, the US State Department indicates that a Visa will not be required provided the stay will be less than 90 days.
International travel involves multiple government agencies potentially deciding upon accessibility to cross boarders. As a result, it is strongly recommended that travelers regularly check with the US State Department or German/Czechia consulates for health regulations and expectations for international visitors. Additionally, once air travel is confirmed check with the carrier for specific travel requirements.